Sunday, February 2, 2014

I think people are free to make their own choices..and I'm not sorry.

I wrote this post last week in response to that horrible post that went viral.  You know the one that basically slammed any woman that married and had children.   To me the best part is that someone who says that getting married and having children are "actually super easy tasks" has clearly NEVER been married or had children.  And they most definitely haven't witnessed the miracle that occurs when you grow another human being inside of you for 9 months and bring them into the world...or they would not describe it as "average".  So I wasn't going to publish this because, quite honestly, I don't think that "other post" deserved any attention.  And it doesn't.  So I won't link to it.  But what the hell, I'm publishing this anyway.

Awwww, some people are the cutest.  Especially when they look down on others because of the choices they make.  And even more so when they claim to be a feminist but their actions go against the very definition of what a feminist is:

A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women

I don't know about you, but when I read that definition all I see that they SUPPORT women's rights and equality for women, wherever it may be...in the home, in the workplace, in education, in politics.  I don't read between the lines and create my own meaning to better suit my needs...and to look down on others who have made choices different than mine.

That's the beauty of our country.  Yes, maybe we have some way to go in certain areas...but for the most part, we are FREE to make our own choices in life.

You can graduate from high school and enter the workplace.  Or you can go to trade school.  Or college.

You can go to any college you choose, if you work hard enough, apply, and are accepted.  You can study to be a nurse, a doctor, a teacher, a lawyer, an engineer, a chemist...anything your little heart desires.  You can pursue any career you would like.

You can choose to be a mother.  Or not. 

If you do choose to be a mother, you can still work out of the home and be successful.  Or you can choose to stay home with your children.  Or your husband can stay home to help raise the children while your are focusing on your career.

You can be in charge of all the finances...and do the laundry and the dishes and the vacuuming and the cooking.  Or not.  You can have a housekeeper (lucky you).  Or split the household responsibilities with your spouse.

You can be a single mother, whether by choice or not.  You can do the job of BOTH parents.

If you are a mother, you know how hard it can be.  You know how challenging and rewarding and exhausting and amazing it can be.  So you do deserve to be celebrated for your not so "super easy task" of bringing a life into this world.  And thank God you made that choice.  Last time I checked, anyone who has ever made any sort of positive impact on this crazy world we live in was able to do so because of the simple fact that they are here in the first place, thanks to their mother.

There is a common thread here. It's that you can do anything you choose to do.  You are free to make your own choices, whether they be out of preference or necessity.  AND NO ONE, especially not some anonymous person sitting behind the protection of their computer, can make you feel bad about your choices.

I think people are free to make their own choices every single day of their lives, and I am not sorry.

  alt text

1 comment:

  1. I would like to suggest that if somebody thinks having children is easy, they would be shocked to feel the visceral pain and fear of having your own heart walking around outside of your own body.

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.