Friday, May 17, 2013

Give Me 5 for Friday: Dear Teenage Me...

There are so many sayings...

Hindsight is 20/20.

If I knew then what I know now.

I would go back and do it all again.

Really, how cool would it be?  To know what you know now and to be able to go back and do it all again.  Would you do it?  Would you change anything?

Let me say right now that I enjoyed my teenage years.  I liked high school.  It wasn't some horrible experience at all.  I had many friends then that I still keep in touch with today.  I played sports.  I got good grades.  I really had a good run for those 4 years. 

But there are some things that I might want to tweak a bit.  There are many things that I wish I could have told my teenage self...that would have made those years all the better. 

I decided to write a little letter to myself...in case time travel ever becomes possible.  You never know.

So here are 5 things I would like to tell teenage me.



Dear Teenage Me,

First, don't cut bangs.  Even if you think it might be a good idea...don't.  Trust me on this one. 

Second, embrace your hair.  Use some product and try to find the right ones.  Hair Gel is not a good option for you.

Third, I know it sucks wearing two to three sports bras when you play field hockey and lacrosse, but don't sweat it.  It will get better.  People won't always refer to you as "the girl with the curly hair and big boobs".  In a few short years you will have a breast reduction...and even after you have children, you will still be in pretty good shape in that region.  Everywhere else will be a hot mess, but the surgery will hold up well so take comfort in that one little fact.

Fourth, rock that vanity tag on your Saturn that says "IMKT" with pride.  You will laugh about it for years and years. 

Finally, if you don't quite trust a friend, follow your gut.  Don't tell her shit that you don't want people to know.  But if you do, make sure you also have some leverage...a little inside info, if you know what I mean. 

alt text

PS.  And one more thing...when you find a red sequined, turtleneck style prom dress, keep looking.  It is not as fabulous as you think it is. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Oh boy,if I could talk to my teenage self, the things I would say.
    www.mommysrambles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.