Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Tween Years: Teeth, Mullets, and Regret

My oldest daughter will be 8 in less than a month.  I have to admit, I am scared.

Yes, I am sad that she is growing up and I can't believe how fast time is flying.  Yes, I know that the difficult teenage years lie ahead. 

BUT...that's not why I am scared.

Listen, my daughter is still sweet and innocent.  But she is getting to THAT age.  The age that includes back talking and eye rolling.  I'm not sure I can handle it. 

It is easy to handle tantrums and meltdowns when kids are young and super cute...and when they still have their baby teeth.  Then something happens.  They get their permanent teeth that are way too big for their still small heads.  They become awkward tweens.  They start to choose their own clothes...those choices they will regret someday.  They start to choose their own hairstyles...more choices, more regrets.

Maybe I sound harsh.  But I have a reason. 

This is me.  Grade 4.  9 years old. 


All I see here are teeth, a mullet, and choices I regret (and a strong resemblance to Richard Marx).

I am scared.

alt text

3 comments:

  1. I guess each of us have to make our own mistakes when it comes to hair and clothes.
    <3 Kimbra
    www.mommysrambles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a boy short hair cut with a tail, which is basically the mullets skinnier, longer, 2nd cousin.

    8-9 years is when it starts. Little baby steps towards TEENAGE WORLD!
    Great pic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Richard Marx back in the day. (And think your picture is very nice too!) This post made me laugh and also happy that I'm not in the trenches alone (I have 2 daughters, ages 7 and 10.) Their clothing choices are already, ahem, interesting! But not tarty yet. Thank God!

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.