Monday, November 19, 2012

Baby Products and Other Useful Tips

I have decided to write a quick and easy blog post that contains my rankings, recommendations...whatever you want to call them (they are not exactly reviews) of the various baby/children's products that I use on a daily basis. 

These are based on my opinion and my experience.  You may not agree...and that's cool.  Again, these lists are just based on what I know.  And I know that...
-I feed 6 kids a day, 5 days a week...some are on breast milk, formula, milk, baby food, all solids, all table food. You name it.
-I change over 2 dozen diapers a day.

I have numbered the lists, #1 being my top choice.

Here are my recommendations: 

DIAPERS
Name brand:
1.  Huggies
2.  Pampers Baby Dry
3.  Luvs
4.  Pampers Cruisers (not worth the extra $$)

Store brand:
1.  Target
2.  Costco
3.  Parent's Choice (Walmart)
4.  Walgreens
5.  BJs

WIPES
1.  Target brand- my fave because I love the soft cloth type of wipes...and they are reasonably priced!
2.  Costco- another store brand that I love.
3.  Parent's Choice (Walmart)
4.  Walgreens brand- cheap and often are buy one, get one 50% off. 
5.  Pampers- expensive and I think they leave an oily residue that weirds me out, but they get the job done.
6.  Huggies Natural Care- my last resort if I have a coupon, but I think they are too stiff.

DIAPER CREAM
1.  Desitin Maximum Strength- In the purple tube, 40% zinc oxide.  This works GREAT!!! Don't mess around with the regular strength...just get this one.  Store brand is also fine as long as you get the 40% zinc oxide.

2.  Triple Paste- Also works really well, but is more expensive.
3.  Boudreaux's Butt Paste-  I really like this one, too.
4.  Good old Vaseline or Aquaphor- might not work that great on a diaper rash, but it's a good barrier.
Note:  A&D Ointment is my least fave.  I don't think it really works at all.  If your child has a very red, bumpy diaper rash, try Lotrimin.  Yes, this athlete's foot medicine cures fungal/yeast related diaper rashes!!!


BOTTLES
1.  Platex Nurser Drop-ins- I love these...so easy to use and clean. 
2.  Dr. Brown's- Great if your child has spit up or reflux issues, like my oldest did.
3.  Tommy Tippee
4.  Nuk
Note: I think Avent bottles leak too much.  Some other brands are good but they have too many parts to clean.  Dr. Brown's bottles have a lot of parts too, but they are great for the issues I mentioned above.

SIPPY CUPS
1.  Playtex Insulator-  I love the ones with the straw.  They don't spill, which is great!!!
Babies R Us Exclusive  Playtex Twist 'n Click 9oz Insulator Cup with Straw - 1 pk - Playtex  - Babies"R"Us
2.  Take and Toss-  Great for older kids...and cheap so you can replace them.
The First Years Take and Toss No Spill Cups - 7-Pack 7 oz. - Learning Curve  - Babies"R"Us

3.  Platex Lil' Gripper or Gerber Graduate Nuk- very similar and also will not spill.
Nuk Spout Fun Grip - 10oz - Purple - Nuk  - Babies"R"Us

4.  Platex trainer cup- Good for younger ones just learning how to use a cup.
Playtex 2 Pack The First Sipster Trainers Pack 7 oz. (Colors/Styles May Vary) - Playtex  - Babies"R"Us

5.  Munchkin Insulated Straw Cup-  just as good as the Platex one. 
Munchkin Click Lock Insulated Straw Cup 10oz - 2pk (Boy) - Munchkin  - Babies"R"Us

FORMULA
1.  Similac- I always used this with all 3 of my girls.
2.  Enfamil
3.  Target brand- Yes, I switched to this with my youngest at 6 months and I really liked it!!! Cheaper and the same exact thing as name brand if you look at nutrition info.
4.  Costco brand-  Also a GREAT store brand formula.
5.  Gerber Good Start and Parent's Choice (Walmart Brand)-  I have never used this but I know people that love it.


Other hopefully useful tips:
-When it comes to baby equipment, the brighter and gaudier the better.  I made the mistake with my oldest of trying to match my decor.  NO.  Wrong.  Babies love the bright colors, lights, and sounds!

-If your baby is a bad sleeper, try the SwaddleMe Blanket.  I am not sure if it is a friend or foe though.  Babies sleep GREAT with this thing...but they become addicted.  You may find yourself trying to shove your 10 month old into this contraption, which is made for newborns.
Summer Infant SwaddleMe Organic- Small Dots on Ivory - Summer Infant  - Babies"R"Us
Summer Infant SwaddleMe Blanket

-When your baby is ready for snack like puffs, buy STORE BRAND!  They are cheaper and then same thing.  And don't fall for the Gerber Graduate snacks, like cheese puff.  They are two to three times the cost of regular cheese puffs..and they are the same thing!  Try Trader Joe's white cheddar cheese puffs.  Kids love them and they are not that messy.

-When you are buying baby food, NEVER buy apples.  Why?  Well, apples are the same as applesauce and you can get regular, unsweetened applesauce for much cheaper!  I would even buy organic applesauce and it is cheaper than baby apples. 

-Another good finger food for babies, when they are ready for dairy, is shredded cheese.  Easy and you will save time because you don't have to cut it up!

-You don't have to buy a bottle sanitizer.  You can sanitize your bottles by putting them in the dishwasher.  (Or if you are like me, you can sanitize them when you first buy them and then just wash with soap and warm water.)

I truly hope that you found this post to be helpful!!! I will add to it when needed;)  And if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

alt text

2 comments:

  1. Posting on my page!!! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that I would say is that some things work better then others for some kids. I finally got to the point that I would only use Luvs diapers on my son. He would pee our poop through both Huggies and Pampers. But I have friends that swear by both those brands.

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.