Tuesday, February 21, 2012

That's me. The queen of excuses.

I can find an excuse reason for anything.

Today is Fat Tuesday and we were going to have tacos for dinner.  Then my husband said we should get some good take out because again, today's Fat Tuesday and tomorrow marks the beginning of Lent.  Ahhh Lent, the time of year when I give up chocolate because I both like chocolate but can definitely live without it.  Works for me and works for whoever is judging me about the quality of my Lenten sacrifice.

So since it's Fat Tuesday, I don't have to cook dinner.  Good enough reason for me.  It got me thinking, though, how I can find good reasons for any of my choices. 

If the kids are going to be doing something outside the following day, I can skip bath that night because after all, they will just be getting all dirty in the next 12 to 18 hours.

If I am getting ready to crack down once again on my diet, I give myself permission to eat whatever crap I choose for that last day.  I always say it's my "last hurrah".  Problem is, I find myself having a "last hurrah" every weekend.

If it is payday, I say we should splurge and go out to eat or order take out.

If it is payday, I also tell myself that is it okay to feed my $400 a month Target habit. 

When it rains, it's fine to stay in jammies all day and not do a damn thing.  Because it's a rainy day, what else is there to do?

If I have a little bit of a cold, I will sometimes say I should just skip my run for that day.  Once I did read that if you exercise when you are sick, it may make you even sicker.  Don't want that happening, right?

If the kids keep making a mess in their room, I just shut the door and carry on.  No use in making them clean it up (or me clean it up while they put 2 toys away, whine about it, then sit and watch me do the rest) if they are just going to be playing in there.  Why clean it all up just so they can make a mess again?  It is not until it gets out of control or I fall over a toy while coming in with laundry to put away that I finally make them clean.

See, I have gotten pretty good at finding excuses legitimate reasons for every choice I make on a daily basis.  I always say "whatever works."  Just so happens that my little excuses work just fine for me...until I find myself with dirty kids, an extra 20 lbs to lose, no money but a surplus of crap from Target, and a messy house.  Hmmm, maybe I should rethink this.

3 comments:

  1. So true! I do this all the time. What is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, chocolate!!! I don't think I could do it. I am giving up sex. I figured that way my husband could give up something too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, let's not rethink it tonight. Tomorrow, when we've had a good sleep. Then we can decide what to do, or not do. I read somewhere that rethinking decisions after sunset can cause acne. We wouldn't want that.

    *grin*

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.