Monday, August 1, 2011

How long will it last?

Every time we get something new, whether it is a computer, a car, a new piece of furniture, or a new kitchen floor (as we did today)...one of the first questions that pops in my head is "How long will it last?"

How long will it stay in that condition?  How long until one of the kids spills something, colors on it, spits up on it, or ruins it in one way or another?  The over/under on that is usually about 1month.  I always like to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst (like a same day disaster).

Tonight I almost told the kids that they couldn't walk on the new kitchen floor for a few days.  If they objected, I was thinking of some reason that I could give them that would keep them off of it...like it would burn their feet because there are chemicals on it, or walking on it could break the floor and they might fall through it into the basement.  Then I decided against it.  I don't want to scar them for life. 

Instead, I just said to be very, extremely, extra, extra careful when in the kitchen.  Approximately 2 minutes and 10 seconds after saying this, my oldest daughter spilled a few drops of apple juice on the floor.  I saw terror in her eyes.  Right that moment, I showed her how easy it was to clean it up (just like the other floor) and told her it was no big deal.  Well, now that I think about it, I really went and screwed myself.  Trying to make her feel better just guaranteed that I will get about a dozen spills in the next week. 

So tonight I was thinking that maybe we should not get new things when the kids are little.  Maybe we should just deal with everything as it is and we can work on getting new things in about 15 years.  This is the same thought I had when we got our new van, or when we got the new laptop and my then 3 1/2 year old wanted to play a game on it, or when we got a new sofa.  But I never learn my lesson and I continue to add to my anxiety by getting things that I know will eventually be shot to hell within a short period of time. 

Have you ever gotten anything new that ended up getting ruined by one of your kids? I know I can't be the only one. Please share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.