Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Background Music to My Life

As I was driving home this morning after a run, I noticed that I was listening to Pebo Bryson and Celine Dion's version of "Beauty and the Beast".  The sad part was not that it was on in the car (or should I say "van"), but that I had hardly even noticed it and I was actually singing along.  It was not on the radio...it was coming from the DVD player because my daughters have been watching this movie in the van for months.  Not that I make them sit in the van to watch movies.  When we are driving somewhere, they always have it on.  BUT...maybe that is not a bad idea.  I could set them up in the van with the movie and some snacks.  Hey, I would leave it running with the air conditioner on and I would leave my front door open so I could keep an eye on them from my sofa.  Hmmmm...something to think about.  But I am pretty certain that it is illegal.

So I was driving the short distance home and thinking to myself that this is basically the background music to my life lately.  Whenever we drive somewhere, I must listen to that movie...I bet I could recite each line and I know every word to every song.  That Lumiere is something else (Jerry Orbach was a genius).

Then when we are not in the van, I still have background music at home.  It is usually the kids playing (or arguing), a show on the Disney Channel or Nick Jr., or some children's music CD.  I was washing baby bottles the other day singing along to a very lively version of "I've Been Working on the Railroad".  The kids were dancing around and saying "DANCE PARTY"...I think it's time that I put on a little of my own music to show them a real dance party.

Just last night I was trying to read a book...and yes, it was Tori Spelling's Uncharted Territori.  But I need to get that baby back to the library by Friday and I am sure that other library-goers are anxiously awaiting its return.  There may even be a hold on that one.  It is a summer classic.  So anyway, I was reading it and I had to reread the same paragraph about 4 times because I was interrupted by my daughter.  It is pretty sad that I had to reread it more than once...it is not like I was reading War and Peace or anything.  Finally, when I realized that my dream for her to just go back upstairs and continue playing with her Magic Kingdom castle with her sister was going to be unrealized, I gave in and put on her show.  I tried to get back into the book but I could not concentrate on Tori's retelling of her trip across country with her family and extra annoying and creepy husband.  Why?  Because the background music of my life was interfering...and it happened to be Dora, the Explorer at that moment.  I marked my page and closed the book...completely defeated.

Then my daughter sat right next to me and said, "Mommy, I want you to watch this with me" and she moved my arm so it was go around her shoulders.  It was so adorable and my distaste for Dora began to fade as we had the most quiet and peaceful 25 minutes of the day watching that show.  I definitely feel like the background music to my life has changed drastically in the past 6 or so years...but hey, I think I can deal with it.  And when I am out by myself cruising in the van, I can still sneak in a little Garth, George Strait, Dave Matthews, or Biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.